Sunday, August 5, 2012

Portobello Market

On Saturday, I went to the Portobello Market, which is one of the most famous street markets in the world, and a very popular destination (for tourists and locals alike), especially on Saturdays.


The market is in the trendy neighbourhood of Notting Hill, made famous by the film with Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant.


The market has something for everyone, and a little bit of everything.  There seems to be a lot of antique dealers, jewellry, vintage clothing, and food.


There were several street performers, including this authentic looking Rockabilly band called the "Hightown Crows"...


The market had everything from African masks...


... to gas masks...


I loved this display of antique cameras...


The food section was also diverse, with lots of fruits...


... vegetables...


... bread...


... and beer... (yes, beer is a food group...)


It had vendors with very narrow niche markets, like vintage signs...


... and magnifying glasses and shaving brushes? ...


I only walked along about half of the length of the market, and missed a lot of the clothing and vintage clothing vendors at the north end.  Though there were some clothing vendors at the south end from traditional...


... to trendy...


... and glamourous...


In addition, although I visited most of the street vendors along my way, there are also shops behind the street vendors, that are each just basically another mini-market with several other vendors in each unit.  You could spend an entire day here, and not be able to visit every vendor.


I realized that I hadn't had many (any?) photos of me in London, and I found this pretty young lady outside the Highland Store in the market, and she was nice enough to pose with me.

This was a really fun place to be, I found some interesting things here, and would like to come back next Saturday if I can arrange it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow...that looks like FUN!! Hope you get to go back and explore some more!

    Alicia =0)

    ReplyDelete