Wednesday, August 8, 2012

St. Bartholomew-the-Great

On Tuesday I visited St. Bartholomew-the-Great, one of London's oldest churches, founded in 1123AD as an Augustinian Priory, and has been in continuous use as a place of worship since at least 1143AD.

(Looking down the Quire towards the Sanctuary)

The church was built during the reign of King Henry I (son of William the Conqueror).  The Priory was disolved in 1539 (during the disolution of the monastries by King Henry VIII), and later was restored as a Parish Church under Queen Elizabeth I.

(The Sanctuary)

In 1305, William Wallace (Braveheart) was dragged behind a horse to a gallows near the priory where he was hung, drawn, and quartered (hence the bizarre name of this pub near the church).

(The Hung Drawn and Quartered Pub)

Various portions of the church have been damaged or destroyed over the centuries, though there are still original 12th centruy floor tiles on display in the church. 

(From behind the Sanctuary)

The church survived the Great Fire of 1666 as well as the bombing of London during World War II.

(The Lady Chapel, behind the Sanctuary)

St. Bartholomew was one of the 12 apostles of Jesus, and was reputed to have brought Christianity to Armenia and where he was later flayed alive and crucified head down, becoming a martyr.

(Alcove in the Transept)

While St. Paul's Cathedral is larger, and certainly more opulent, than St. Bart's, the atmosphere in St. Bart's is incredible, and you really feel like you are in a medieval church.

(Looking back down the Quire to the organ)

Admission to St. Bart's is only 4 pounds, plus another pound if you want to take photos, which I gladly paid, because the place is beautiful, despite its unimpressive exterior.

(The Church Entrance)

St. Bart's is famous for having been used as a set in many popular Hollywood movies, including Four Weddings and a Funeral, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, Shakespeare in Love, Elizabeth: The Golden Age, and Sherlock Holmes.

(From the organ loft)

I was fortunate to find that there were not many visitors, and the Verger allowed me to go up to the Organ loft for an opportunity to take some photos from a place most people don't get to go.

(From the organ loft)

The Cloister was rebuilt during the early 20th century and now serves as a Cafe where you can sample various cheeses and cakes, as well as trying one of several different monastic beers.

(The Cloister Cafe)

It isn't often that you have an opportunity to sit and have a beer in church, so I was happy to sit down and sample one of their best.

(Window in the Cloister Cafe)

I think I might have enjoyed my tour of St. Bart's more than St. Paul's.  I was allowed to take photos,  the atmosphere and lighting were incredible, I got some of my best photos of my trip, and I didn't have to climb 528 stairs, plus I got to drink beer.

I'll have more about the art inside St. Bart's in my next post.

1 comment:

  1. Wow...beautiful shots!!!Interesting that it's been in all those movies.

    I grew up Catholic all we got to drink in church was wine! LOL!

    Alicia =0)

    ReplyDelete