Sunday, August 5, 2012

Walking in Westminster

Last week, I took a Thames river cruise from Tower Hill down to Westminster, but really all I did in Westminster was get off the boat, walk across the bridge, take some photos, and head back to the boat.  However, there's actually quite a lot within a few minutes walk from the foot of the Clock Tower. 

On Thursday (I think) when I went to Beach Volleyball, I took a LOCOG (London Olympic Committee for the Olympic Games) bus from the IBC to Horse Guards Parade in Westminster (which is the venue for Beach Volleyball). 

This would be great if my accreditation actually allowed me into any venue other than the IBC (which it doesn't).  Instead, I had to walk around to the spectator entrance, which is actually a fair distance away.

Since I was early anyway, I decided to extend my walk to see some of the sights in Westminster...

(Horse Guard's Parade)

The bus lets us off right in front of the Horse Guards Parade at Whitehall.  The Palace at Whitehall used to be located here, and the Beach Volleyball court actually occupies the courtyard where tournaments, including jousting, used to occur in the time of Henry VIII.

The Horse Guards Parade used to be headquarters for the British Army, and is also the site of the annual ceremony called Trooping the Colour commemorating the monarch's birthday.

(Her Majesty's Treasury)

I actually walked past Downing St. without knowing it, so I could have stopped at 10 Downing St., home of the Prime Minister (David Cameron).

Walking towards the bridge we pass run into the Clock Tower / Big Ben and the Parliament buildings...

(Clock Tower / Big Ben and Parliament)

Just north of them is Parliament Square, a small park with many statues, including this one of Winston Churchill...

(Winston Churchill)

In the 1950's, Churchill was being shown the plans for the redevelopment of the square.  He drew a circle in the northeast corner of the square and declared "that is where my statue will go".  The statue was unveiled in 1973.

Westminster Abbey lies at the other end of the square.  Here's a shot of the side entrance to the Abbey, taken from the square...

(Westminster Abbey, from the side)

The Abbey has been the location for coronations in England since 1066AD.  Construction on the current Abbey begain in 1245AD under Henry III,  The Abbey is the final resting place of 17 monarchs, and many other important people.

(Westminster Abbey, from the front)

I'm not sure whether I will get a chance to come back and take a tour.  John says that the tour is mostly about the crypts and monuments to the 17 monarchs, and that the inside of the Abbey is not nearly as spectacular as St. Pauls.

From there I walked toward St. James park and the Mall, where at the west end you will find Buckingham Palace...

(Buckingham Palace, entrance)

I was a little disappointed by Buckingham Palace, I was kind of expecting it to be more impressive (I guess I was looking for a castle!).

Walking east through St. James park I came across this floral crown created in celebration of Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee earlier this year.

(Queen Elizabeth II, Diamond Jubilee topiary)

Finally, I walked through the park and came into the Beach Volleyball venue on the other side of the Horse Guards Parade gates from the other side.


Of course, there is a lot more to be seen in Westminster, including the National Gallery, Trafalgar Square, the Churchill War Rooms, and more...

I may have to go back...

No comments:

Post a Comment