Monday, August 13, 2012

Saying Goodbye!

Well, it's time to say goodbye to London!  I got home after they wrapped up post-work on closing ceremonies at about 5am, and got up at noon.  I have today off, and had hoped to get up and go visit Stonehenge, but I just don't have the energy.  Instead, I'm going to pack, and maybe do a little walking on the south shore of the Thames. Then I am meeting the rest of the Comms team for dinner at our favourite Italian restaurant Zizzi's.

(Me in one of the studios, leaning on a camera...)

I get picked up for the airport at 4:30am on Tuesday morning, and have an 8:30am flight (which because of the time zone change actually lands in Toronto at 11:30am on Tuesday morning - and yes, I plan to be at Synchro practice on Tuesday night to see Caitie's team).

(My "credit" ran on the primetime show... "David" again as usual...)

People always ask what my favourite Olympics has been, and it is so hard to answer because they are all unique.  I certainly enjoyed London very much, even though, working nights, I didn't see a lot of the Olympics live.  For me, the best part about being here has been being able to see and learn about some of the history of London.  There are so many things to see and do, and I didn't get to everything that I wanted to.

(One last look at the Olympic Stadium from last night)

And while (the modern) parts of London are kind of ugly, as were many of the Olympic venues (with all the chainlink and scaffolding), the older architecture is amazingly beautiful (and plentiful).  I also have to say thank you to the people of London, and of England, who wholeheartedly embraced everything about the Olympics.  Ticket sales were strong, and the crowds were enthusiastic (even for the "lesser" sports).  The volunteers (and there were thousands of them) were fantastic, cheeful, and helpful.


And so now the torch has been passed (literally?) to Rio, Brazil, for the next Summer Games in 2016.  But before then, we have the next Winter games in Sochi, Russia.  Both of those should be interesting cultural experiences, and I hope I get the opporutinity to work both of them (as NBC has won the rights for both).


Looking farther down the line, the following Winter Olympics will be in PyeongChang, South Korea, in 2018.  There is a campaign growing to have Synchronized Skating included in these games, and Caitie will be just 22 years of age by then.  Wouldn't that be great!


I want to thank all of you for following me on my journey in London.  There have been nearly 2000 of you who have dropped by to view some part of my blog!  I hope you have enjoyed my adventures, and my Olympic reports (there were some great stories to follow this year).

As always, I can't wait to get home and see Susan, Connor, and Caitie, I miss them a lot, and wish that it were possible for them to be here with me.  Love you guys, see you tomorrow!

8 comments:

  1. As always I truly enjoyed this Olympic experience through your eyes.I am hoping you will be back for Sochi...it starts in only 18 months from this week! LOL!

    Hoping you have an Olympian in the making!

    My best to you and yours!

    Alicia =0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog! but what about the paralympics?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Unfortunately, I don't get to stay for the Paralympics (NBC doesn't televise them)...

      Delete
  3. Such a shame. I was at the Paralympic Opening ceremony last night and your US team is sizable and looked great coming in. Hopefully NBC will be able to support them in future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I'm Canadian, just worked for NBC. I agree, it would be nice if the Paralympics got some coverage, there are some great stories and tremendous athletes. Enjoy the games!

      Delete
  4. You are excused then! But the Canadian team looked awesome in their red and white, so all to play for :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sean!

    One month until the Winter Olympics in Sochi!! Will we be able to follow along with you there? I hope so!

    Alicia =0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Alicia,

    Yes, I've decided to blog again, though opportunities for adventure may be limited.

    You can find it here: http://ssob2014.blogspot.ca/

    Cheers - Sean

    ReplyDelete