Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Beer Olympics

So, the pastries are very good, and the highlight of my mornings, but it wouldn't be a visit to England if I didn't try to sample some of the beer on tap here. 


And really, I'm probably more qualified to judge a beer competition than a pastry competition, so without further ado, welcome to the Beer Olympics...  who will win the gold medal?

In 9th place, Tiger, a Japanese beer served in the outside patio bar at the IBC.  Only included here because I was able to also buy "Chilli and Lime Almonds".  They were better than the beer.


In 8th place, Peroni Nastro Azzurro, an Italian beer served at Zizzi (a restaurant near my hotel with very good pizza).  The best part about this beer is that it comes in a big bottle.


In 7th place, also at Zizzi's, is Menabrea, another Italian beer (Birra), but this one had a very nice clean taste.  Plus it was hot outside, and this beer was served very cold.


In 6th place, Bodingtons, on tap at my hotel bar, with outside cafe.  Now we're getting somewhere.  A cold pint, a sunny day, and a view of the Tower Bridge.  Tasted like a Canadian beer (that's a good thing in my book).


In 5th place, Murphy's Draught (in a can), served at the IBC outdoor patio bar after work on my first day here.  This is kind of a Guiness clone, dark and smooth, and has the in-can Widget (dissolved nitrogen released on opening to create the creamy head).  Might have scored this higher if it hadn't been served in plastic cups.


In 4th place, just out of the medals, is Fuller's London Pride, a local beer (well, local to all of England). A kind of amber ale, this is very popular in the UK, and was decent, but tasted a little watery to me.  I scored it higher than it deserves because it was served in a pub with a really good meat pie (venison and roasted red peppers in a red-wine sauce).


I gave the Bronze medal to Hoegaarden, a Belgian Wheat beer, again served at my hotel patio after work and just before going to bed. I really like wheat beers, especially when cold and served on a hot day. This was very good.


The Silver medal goes to the classic Guinness.  There's nothing like watching the bubbles cascade to the top to create the creamy smooth head.  Served cold, it's a bit of a myth that the British drink it warm - it is served at "cellar temperature", about 45F, not "room temperature" - so it is slightly warmer than our fridge temperature, but still tastes cool. 


In this link, a Guinness brewmaster describes the "perfect pour", which should take almost 2 minutes.  Or better yet, watch the perfect pour here, it's almost like poetry...


So, what can beat the perfect pint of Guiness for the Gold medal?  How about, Affligem Dubbel a nice "monastic beer" from Belgium, served in the Cloister of a 12th century Priory Church...


This beer had great flavour and finish, and won out over the Guinness in part because of the atmosphere in which I got to sit and enjoy it.

4 comments:

  1. this is officially my 2nd favorite blog post ;) !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... and I know which one is your favourite... (and it's not the pastries...)

      Delete
  2. This was my husbands favorite blog post...at least that's what he TOLD me!...I think it might have tied with beach volley-butts! ;0)

    He said to thank you about clearing up the myth that Brits drink their beer warm...that's what he always heard too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's warmer than what we are used to, but it is still chilled. The warmer temperature brings out the flavour. That's why lesser quality beer is served ice cold, so you don't have to taste it!

      Delete